Martin EB-57B (52-1499) Canberra Walk Around Page 1
Any questions, comments, or problems, please
These pictures were taken and shared with the web by
Beginning in 1959, several obsolete RB-57As were converted for use in air defense interceptor training. The aircraft had an extensive suite of electronic countermeasures equipment installed throughout the aircraft, but particularly in the bomb bay. Along with the electronics gear, chaff dispensers were installed on pylons outboard of the engines. An electronic warfare officer was needed to operate all the ECM equipment and replaced the photo-navigator used in the RB-57A. The EB-57A was also modified for probe and drogue type in-flight refueling capability. The refueling probe was mounted just behind the nose.
The converted aircraft were redesignated EB-57A and assigned primarily to Defense Systems Evaluation Squadrons. A typical EB-57A mission involved flying as a aggressor against North American Air Defense Command radar detection sites. The EB-57A EWO would use his electronics equipment to attempt to hide from or jam friendly radar during the training mission. The radar controllers on the ground would have to detect the intrusion and scramble interceptors to meet the threat.
The EB-57A aircraft were gradually replaced by more advanced Canberra models, but the basic mission of the EB-57 remained throughout the 1960s and 1970s.
Located at the National Museum of the Air Force, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.