Douglas B-26K/A-26 (41-17676) Counter Invader Walk Around Page 1
Any questions, comments, or problems, please
These pictures were taken and shared with the web by
The Counter Invader was a highly modified version of the Douglas A-26 Invader, a World War II attack bomber. Redesignated B-26 in 1948, the Invader served again during the Korean War (1950-1953), mainly as a night intruder against North Korean supply lines. It was removed from service in 1958, but in 1961 the USAF recalled many Invaders for use as tactical bombers in Southeast Asia. Combat duty and two decades of wear took their toll, and in 1964 the B-26s again were removed from service.
In 1966 the old bomber was resurrected once more when the improved B-26K Counter Invader returned to Southeast Asia for ground-attack missions along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. Modified by On Mark Engineering, the B-26K had a rebuilt fuselage and tail, strengthened wings, improved engines, reversible propellers, wing-tip fuel tanks and other refinements. Redesignated A-26As, Counter Invaders remained in Southeast Asia until 1969 and retired from USAF service.
Located at the National Museum of the Air Force, Wright Patterson AFB, OH.